Sinabaw na Borot

Borot is the name of the fish I used in this recipe. It's how its called here in Cagayan de Oro. I don't know in the different parts of the country or in the world. It's the kind of fish that's readily available in the market. And it's cheap. I can use this for Adobo, Sinugba(grilled), Inon-on(paksiw), and many others. 

My ingredients in soup varies upon what's available in the kitchen, but the three should always be present: onion leaves, ginger and siling-labuyo. Bell pepper or atsal is an alternative, but the "kick" to the tongue of the former is what I'm after. The latter is believed to eliminate the unwanted fishy smell. I was told by a native cook in Bukidnon. 


The ingredients for this are fish, tomatoes, siling-labuyo, Chinese cabbage, water, ginger, salt and MSG(just a little bit) and onion leaves. That's all.

The procedure is, again, very simple. Just put all the ingredients in the pot except for the green part of the onion leaves and the Chinese cabbage for they're always to be added last. Put on top of the fire. When the water has boiled, reduce it to low. Just let it simmer. This is the trick I do. I don't rush. I want the natural flavors of the ingredients to come out slowly and are blended. When the water turns cloudy, I season with salt and MSG. I estimate it not to become bland when the leafy vegetable is added. And I don't overcook the leaves. Better to eat them with a crunch:) 

We had this for dinner tonight. Simple but satisfying:D